Some of the items on their list:
- - About 65-70 percent of the patients in Asian countries live in rural areas where hospital infrastructure does not support clinical research
- - Low awareness of opportunities to participate in clinical trials An ageing population that takes drugs for multiple chronic conditions, which makes them ineligible for most trial protocols
- - Public concern over safety of new medications in the wake of major drug recalls
- - Use of herbal medicines Scepticism about trials designed only to expand the market for a drug to include an additional condition
- - Concentration of trials at academic medical centers that are out of geographic reach of many Asians sites
In the article, Tarun Pandotra suggests that it's often the lack of communication between the investigators and collaboration often lead to many of the aspects of clinical trial recruitment for the right patients to fall through the cracks. Is this something you agree with? Why or why not?